Adventures in gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian living...

Adventures in gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian living

Saturday 31 August 2013

Week One Off Sugar

I'm on day seven of my first week off sugar, so I thought I'd give you a run down of how it's all going. It's going, much, much better than last time! Last time I had some ridiculous detox symptoms, including (but not limited to) incredibly bad breakouts, being exhausted all the time (and looking it!), nausea and dizzy spells. Not much fun. Of course, I also lowered my caffeine intake at this time, switching from black tea to green tea, and my usual green teas were switched to herbal. So that would have made things even more difficult. Well, after my work on detoxing my body in preparation for this, I have had much fewer issues this time round. I have only had one breakout, I'm only slightly more tired than usual (and look only slightly more tired, not utterly exhausted and wrecked), and the only time I've had any nausea is when my blood sugar levels have dropped too much. I have had a few new detox symptoms, but they weren't as unpleasant and they are apparently ones that you get towards the end of a detox, when things are going to clear up immensely. Of course, detox symptoms aren't the only thing that one deals with when one gives up sugar. There is the pysical adjustment to less sweetness in your diet, the emotional adjustments to less sugar in your diet, and the having to pull yourself up on old habits. For me, after the detox, the habit one was the hardest. There were two occasions where I really wanted to buy some sweets - both habit filled occasions. One was that it was warm when I was walking down Glenferrie rd, where I do a lot of my shopping, I saw Trampoline, and thought, "I want an ice-cream". The other was when I got lunch out at work, and after getting my lunch at one place I walk to another place to get a cake. After my lunch, I really wanted that cake. But again, I resisted. And in both cases, once I had resisted the cravings went away, in less than 5 minutes. This week will hopefully be even easier, because I'm planning to switch all my green teas to herbal teas this week. That's right, I'll be almost entirely caffeine free, and sugar sugar free! And hopefully, with this and my calcium supplements, my bones will be picking up some mass.

No comments:

Post a Comment