Adventures in gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian living...

Adventures in gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian living

Wednesday 7 August 2013

Sam's Food Situation (and a recipe)

In case you didn't notice, I spent all weekend in sunny Perth with my wonderful guy, Paul.

The thing is, I spent all my money. Well, I have $70 left, but I'm prioritising dancing and at a pinch being able to get to work over such luxuries as food.

So I'm cooking from my pantry at the moment. Which doesn't sound too bad until you realise that I don't have any gf bread, pasta, or vegetables in the fridge.

Yes, that does make meals slightly more difficult for a gluten free, dairy free vegetarian.

Last night I made up white rice with stir fry frozen vegetables and satay sauce. and finished off the white rice, and satay sauce.

The bread also poses a problem. I have 2-3 slices a day at work with soup, and toast as a regular snack (with nut butter and honey or jam).

So I decided to experiment and make some rolls, and they're actually quite nice!

So here's my recipe for quinoa cheezy bread rolls:

- 1 cup plain gf flour
- 1 cup quinoa flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
- Nutritional yeast, about 1/3 cup, but more or less depending on preference (nutritional yeast tastes like cheese)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Water and rice milk, to blend

Mix together the dry ingredients, thrn blend together wirh the rice milk and water til you have a doughy consistency.

Break off into roll.shapes (I couldn't be bothered, and just made rough spoonfuls of the mixture) and bake at 200 degrees celcius for 30 minutes.

They're actually quite good - though maybe not with almond butter and jam!

No comments:

Post a Comment